In BA Phase II, the development of ITER remote experimentation system will continue in collaboration with IO. In addition, REC developments will be available to support the other BA projects, JT-60SA and IFMIF/EVEDA.
The remote experimentation system including the hardware, software and broad bandwidth links should be further developed and demonstrated, in order to develop tools for remote participation and remote analyses for future use in ITER.
- The REC should include:
- A preparation for monitoring the ITER plant status and experiment status, remote data access, and remote computer access including preparation and transferring pulse preparation files with close link with the ITER Organization (IO)
- An examination and demonstration of the remote participation to ITER experiment with IO
- Technical collaboration with JT-60SA and IFMIF/EVEDA
- A development and demonstration of fast data transfer method
- An investigation of the data storage system to utilize the ITER data effectively
- An investigation of the method of large-scale data analysis
- Practical exploration of remote participation.
In BA Phase II, the REC activities will concentrate in three aspects: collaborative activities with JT-60SA, ITER, and the IFMIF/EVEDA LIPAc accelerator.
1) JT-60SA: the first phase of JT-60SA including OPE-1 and the shutdown until 2023 will be dedicated to refine the tools for remote participation in experiment execution developed in BA Phase I. These tools will be tested in collaboration with JT-60SA in the OPE-2 phase in 2023.
2) IO: collaboration under the ITER BA agreement will start in 2021 to advance technologies for remote experiments and data transfer, including remote CODAC application testing, remote data access, live data viewing for ITER, fast data transfer, secure remote connection and refinement of communication tools.
3) IFMIF/EVEDA: the control room provided by REC for LIPAc at the end of BA Phase I will be further developed, and remote participation tools for the accelerator will be developed jointly with IFMIF/EVEDA project, in order to facilitate the tasks of commissioning, operation and analysis for the LIPAc contributors.
Software for REC should be continuously investigated and prepared through discussion with the ITER Organization (IO). Remote computer access and remote data access should be examined using software for REC. Until ITER comes in operation, the testing of REC should be done in close collaboration with JT-60SA and IFMIF/EVEDA where the work plans will be developed with both projects.
Methods for fast data transfer and the data storage system should be investigated to store the ITER data, etc. When SINET is updated, faster data transfer should be demonstrated, and the method of large-scale data analysis should be investigated. According to the progress of the ITER project, the storage system may be decided at the appropriate time in a later phase.